The College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veterans' Dependents waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, Campus of the University of California, or Campus of the California State University system. This program does not cover expenses like books, housing and parking. The student must meet the in-state residency requirements as determined by the school.
Academic Year varies for each school and it is the responsibility of the student to verify the Academic Year for the college they are applying to.
Updates regarding College Tuition/Fee Waiver form (DVS-40)
Effective July 31, 2021 the updated College Tuition/Fee Waiver form (DVS-40) dated 07/21 is the only form CalVet will allow the OCVSO to accept. The correct DVS-40 form will auto-populate with the appropriate student/veteran information when using our online VSO College Fee Waiver Application.
Updates regarding Proof of Income
Form VSD-022 will no longer be accepted in lieu of a non-filing letter, beginning AY 2021-22.
Student who claim non-filing status are required to obtain a non-filing letter from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or Franchise Tax Board (FTB) after the 2021 tax deadline of May 17, 2021. Please note that many IRS and/or FTB offices will not issue non-filing letters until after June 30th.
In preparation for the upcoming 2021-22 Academic Year, please review the "New Exclusion of up to $10,200 of Unemployment Compensation" letter from the IRS. This may affect students' tax preparation who are applying for the College Fee Waiver Program (CFW) under Plan B. The letter explains how the American Rescue Plan, enacted on March 11, 2021, allows individuals to exclude up to $10,200 in unemployment compensation, from their taxable income for the 2020 tax year. If the Student is married, each spouse will receive the same consideration. This does not change the DVS-40 application process under Plan B or any other plan.
Student's Annual Gross Income (AGI) for 2021 - 2022 Academic Year is: $13,465
Student's Annual Gross Income (AGI) for 2020 - 2021 Academic Year is: $13,300
Student's Annual Gross Income (AGI) for 2019 - 2020 Academic Year is: $13,064.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST COMPLETE AND SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED DOCUMENTS EACH ACADEMIC YEAR:
- Applications MUST be complete with all the required supporting documents. Incomplete applications will be Rejected.
- All College Fee Waiver applications submitted to the OC Veterans Service Office are processed through our NEW automated system, please see link below to submit your application.
- Please upload all supporting documents in PDF format. All files not to exceed 10 MB. All other file formats (JPEG, JPG, PNG, GIF, TIFF) will not be accepted.
- Please allow 14 business days for processing. Notification of acceptance and eligibility will be generated electronically through the email provided on the application.
- Once approved, eligible students may download the College Fee Waiver Letter from the email address listed on their application that they then MUST provide to their respective college campuses. The OC Veterans Service Office does not email eligibility letters directly to students or their colleges/ universities.
Note: Please be advised that when a waiver is granted, many schools do not waive summer sessions. Students taking classes during the summer will have to pay all tuition and fees if the college does not waive the summer session.
Should you have any questions regarding any of the required documents listed in the links, please contact the Veterans Service Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.